Roasted Squash and Beet Salad with Balsamic Sage Dressing
I adapted this recipe from the NY Times and made it for our family on Christmas - it was super easy, incredibly delicious and can be prepared in advance - perfect for any gathering! INGREDIENTS
- 1 Large Winter Squash (I used butternut because that’s all that was available but any squash will do, kabocha squash would be especially delicious!)
- 6 Beets (I just used the package of cooked beets from Trader Joes and didn’t roast them)
- 3 shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup (honey or agave will do)
- 1 package of cooked beets (I bought from Trader Joes)
- 1 package of arugula
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Fresh Parsley
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 425.
Line baking sheet with parchment. Peel the squash and cut in 1/2-inch thick slices. Toss with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and salt to taste and place on the baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes.
While squash are roasting mix shallots, sage, garlic, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and maple syrup in a small bowl. After squash have roasted for 15 minutes, remove from oven and turn the squash and then drizzle with the Balsamic Sage Dressing. Roast an additional 15-25 minutes until lightly browned and tender. Remove from oven and let cool.
To toast walnuts, turn oven down to 350 and line another baking sheet with parchment paper and spread chopped walnuts (you can easily break whole walnuts into smaller pieces by placing walnuts in ziploc baggie and using rolling pin to break them apart). Bake in oven for about 5-15 minutes stirring often and watching until walnuts turn lightly brown.
To Assemble Salad toss cooled squash with arugula, toasted walnuts and chopped beets. Garnish with fresh parsley and your favorite dressing. I made an easy honey balsamic dressing that I thought paired really nicely with this salad
*You can roast the squash a day in advance and just refrigerate until ready to use.