Avocado Lime Custard (raw, vegan)
Dairy-free • Gluten-free • Sugar-free • Soy-free
The recipe was adapted from Nourishing Meals, a cookbook that I’ve taken a crazy liking too – I especially recommend for any parents out there. Recipes are all gluten, soy and for the most part, dairy-free but they’re simple, delicious and totally family friendly. This custard has a subtle richness from the avocado blended with a tart lime bite – perfect for a summer’s day and plus, such a fun color!
- 2 small ripe avocados, pitted
- 1/4 c. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 c. raw coconut nectar (can substitute with agave or maple syrup)
- 1/3 c. coconut milk*
- Zest from ½ lime
- Fresh berries – I used strawberries, raspberries and blackcap raspberries native to Washington – so yum!
- Shredded coconut (optional)
- Cacoa nibs (optional)
- Blend all ingredients, except berries, cacao nibs and shredded coconut, in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes or longer to allow custard to set.
- Top with fresh berries, and coconut and cacao nibs if desired.
*To make raw coconut milk: hack open a young thai coconut, pour coconut water into blender, scoop out coconut meat and blend with coconut water in blender until you have – voilà – coconut milk! Or….if you’re feeling a bit lazy in the kitchen just use the full fat coconut milk in a can – it will work just as well although straight from the nut will probably taste a wee-bit yummier.