A (delicious!) dairy and soy-free Mac & Cheese
Ok. I don't even like mac and cheese, but this was sooooo good that it changed all this. Now I recognize I'm not your typical dairy connoisseur so a cheese lover may be hesitant to try this dish, but the flavor combination is so simply delicious I urge you to give it a try :) I especially loved this take on mac & cheese because it doesn't contain any of your usual processed cheese alternatives and is strictly made of tasty whole foods - Enjoy!
- 1 cup of cooked noodles (according to package instructions) *I used Tinkyada's Brown Rice Pasta and think it's a great gf pasta alternative with good texture, etc.*
- 1 baked sweet potato
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp walnut oil (you could use olive oil, I just had walnut oil so chose that instead :))
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (I omitted)
- Dash of salt
- Dash of freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp of nutritional yeast and 1/2 tbsp of additional oil for crust
- Optional: 1 cup arugula, spinach or collard greens
In a medium-sized bowl combine the sweet potato (skin removed), juice of half a lemon, mustard, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, oil and salt and pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined. Stir in cooked noodles. I mixed in 1 cup wild arugula as well which I thought was so yum and added a nice earthy depth to the noodles :) Pour mixture into glass casserole dish, Top with additional nutritional yeast and oil. Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes.